Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Headdesk: Why Umps Need Oxygen Masks at Coors Field

These last two games were sketchy... at best.

9/3 @ Rockies: Matt Cain is pulled after getting shelled in the 3rd inning. After a long at-bat by Jeff Francis resulting in a double, Willy Taveras hits a single after a ball that should have been a strike based on the ump’s calls the last two innings. If Cain had the same strike zone as Jeff Francis, then I wouldn’t be so ticked off. I’ll get some Gameday pictures of the strike-zone up later.

9/4 @ Rockies: Tim Lincecum is pulled one batter into the 4th after throwing too many high stress pitches in such a short amount of time. The strike-zone was still a bit sketchy, but not as bad as yesterday. The thing that bugged me was the bad judgment calls in the 8th inning. After issuing a walk, Brian Wilson hits a batter and is promptly ejected, even though he had no intention of hitting the batter and advancing the potential go-ahead run. Bochy (rightfully) goes out to argue and is thrown out too. I maybe can see why Wilson was ejected (see the Kline-Torrealba incident), but he showed no signs of intentionally drilling the batter. I mean, isn’t that apparent after walking a batter and not seeming to have command of your pitches?

I’ll add more to this rant tomorrow. I want to listen to Kruk and Miller rip the umps on the post game wrap.

No comments: