Sunday, July 22, 2007

Welcome to The Front Row Johnson



No, this isn't an usher greeting a fan who bought $110+ Section 115 Field Club seats for a Giants-Dodgers game at Mays Field. Here's the real background on the origin of this blog's name:
FRONT-ROW JOHNSON n. A home run that lands in the first row of seats. Origin: Don Robinson, who pitched for the Giants in 1987-91, used "Johnson'' as an all-purpose suffix, often for no reason at all. Krukow said, "If Don Robinson wanted you to hand him the ball bag, he would say, 'Hand me that ball-bag-Johnson right there.' '' No matter how nonsensical, it crept into Krukow's vocabulary.
As for me, I'm just a long time Bay Area sports fan. My name is Catherine and I'm a Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Sharks, and once-they-come-back Earthquakes fan, but I started out as a bleeding black-and-orange kid. I remember the very first sports game ever my dad took me to: Giants vs. Dodgers (aka Bums or Evils on this blog) at the 'Stick. Sadly, I don't remember much of the actual game, but I do remember one thing loud and clear: the "Beat LA" chants reverberating throughout the stadium. I was hooked. From learning to throw a fastball, to a Jason Schmidt poster, to bouncing off the walls during the 2002 playoff run, I'm a diehard Giant.

Everything else just naturally branched off from there.

The Front Row is a conglomeration of the sole (so-lay) of the Bay Area. The soul and the awesome, as Isaac Sopoaga defines the Samoan word.

So here I am, writing on my very first blog which hopefully will be as fun for you (and me) as catching a front-row Johnson.

Feel free to shoot an email: frontrowjohnson@gmail.com

No comments: